Tuesday, August 15, 2006

TV : What about us insomniacs, eh?

Ok, so I'm up past 1am and Warcraft is a little underpopulated at the time, so I flick on the TV while I'm fishing in game.

What's happened?

There used to be 2 or 3 channels on after 1am, and you might be able to find something half watchable on. Not any more...

It seems every channel has decided to sell that patch of viewing space to some opportunists doing their best to collect an 'idiot tax'.

I'm referring ofcourse to 'The Mint' 'ITV Play' 'The Great British Quiz' etc. Honestly, can we not run some repeats of some dodgy old sitcom or some old black n white Dr Who or something? on ONE channel?

If you're lucky enough to have not seen any of this, it's basically trick questions, that fools phone a premium rate number to answer, to win unreachable money. Firstly , as an example. 'Add up the weights' and in the box there's 25,25,20,20,15,10,5,5 kg. Pretty simple, 125kg, right? Wrong, and I for the life of me cannot see how. OF course, if you can't see that 75p/£1 a call isn't an idiot tax, then you probably can't see that the right answer isn't right either.

Also, with the exception of one presenter 'Greg' I think, they're all just godawful, remember Brian Dowling camp winner of Big brother..uhh...sometime? No nor did I until they mentioned it, but he's the MOST famous person. I get the feeling 'Greg' knows he's stuck in a pretty poor gig, (although he's been promoted from Bid Up TV, and anyone that can talk about towels for 10 minutes without hesitation deserves a medal), and there's a sense of irony and despair about him, and he seems to drop the odd bit of entendre in, and his cameramen get to come out and basically arse around, even leaving callers waiting on the line while they dance around in stupid wigs pretending to be someone's gran. Each and every other one, though, soulless mindless POINTLESS autonomatrons, ( yes I tihnk I just made a new word to mean tedious android) and you could replace them all with a teaspoon stuck in a pear, and it would be more entertaining.

Another moment of comedy is the absolute idiocy of the callers, who at 4am, have no doubt just fallen through the front door after 86 pints of stella, which is the only reason I can think of that repeatedly calling a premium rate line would be a good idea. 'Name a green fruit' and they're going 'uhhhh orange?'.

This is not even the worst of it though. I was flicking through freeview, and discovered the 'Smile' Channel. For about 4 hours, there are 2 or 3 very bored looking model types, who just stand there and get filthy texts from drunken men. 'Will u show me ur boobs' and they're endlessly repeating 'we cant do that'. I find it scary that these channels make enough to stay on, meaning there's THAT many sad men who think these women will be interested in them if they just text in some sexist remarks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shablagoo! said...

And I thought Sunday evening television with 'The Chase' and 'Where the Heart is' was atrocious until I saw the crappy ITV gameshow thing on Saturday night/Sunday Morning. Additionally, with the pointless lameburger 'Prehistoric Park' ITV has never been CRAPPER.

Monday, August 21, 2006 12:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home