Wednesday, January 24, 2007

WOW Guild Site slowly nearing completion

Well, the Sunken Temple Pilots seem to be slowly making a name for themselves, I'm getting players actually saying 'hey, I was teamed with a couple of your guys, and they were were really good', which is excellent, and exactly what I wanted, it seems we're training up players to be decent citizens of this new world.

If I can get to the point where my guild members can say 'hey, can I team up with you guys?' and get the response ' well, I don't kno- oh, you're in Sunken Temple Pilots, sure!', then I know I've hit my target. I'm not saying we're famous on our server, but the name does seem to have been noticed at least, even players who don't know our plans have bothered to message me going 'hey, cool name'. I have to admit I smiled seeing a guild doing similar stuff called 'Ghouls Allowed', I guess music means something to everyone, you're going to get an emotional response from most people just mentioning it.

We also passed 100 members a few days ago, which is quite an achievement for a guild under a month old, and especially so on such an old server, as old servers have far fewer new players, and old players tend to add their new characters to their current guild. As well as updating the guild website I've been using the in game mail to send a few pages out roughly weekly, to keep all players in the know, as my experience in other guilds, is that its nearly impossible to make all your guildies read a website, never mind actually use online forums etc.

I have had a cunning plan tho, and I'm be having a prize draw soon, for a nice shiny in game item, and to enter, you'll need to find the passwords hidden on pages on the site. I haven't done it yet, but I figure people who won't normally read stuff might be convinced if there's shiny things in it for them.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by the sheer positive feedback of players, and of the generousity both in and out of game of players. I've already had offers of people building forums for me, and offering web hosting space, and in game, people mailing gold to supply the guild, mailing me blue items, which are damned rare at low levels, and well worth a few gold if they'd chosen to sell them instead of donating to guild.

I think it just goes to show, if you give people the chance to be part of something based around decent, fair play, they don't have to be a nasty lowbie killing loot stealing shower of bastards!

to put it in context, we've got over a hundred players, of which I think about 80-90 are fairly active, and about 60 are on at least every couple of days, and we've lost about 5 or so, due to them being complete tools and not fitting in. I think I'm probably going to trim another dozen or so soon for not having been online in the last few weeks, my next target being 100 members actually being active, which I rate as playing at least once a week. I'm not going to start punting people out for not playing weekly, but I think if you haven't played in a month, you're probably not rushing back any time soon.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home