Saturday, September 01, 2007

The IT Crowd returns - now with 38% less subtlety! Oh, and a quick rant about TV exports

I have to say, I caught the first episode of series 2 of the IT Crowd.

While I loved the first series and it was excellent, I think the writer and the cast have really nailed things this time, and despite the techy stylings and settings, Graham Linehan has stuck to what he excels at, old style farce and the traditional British comedy of embarrassment. You can still feel an undertone of 'Father Ted' watching it.

Its amazing to see the plots unfold, purely because the main characters are so socially inept that they can't just say 'erm, I'm not supposed to be here...' (and sadly, I can truly empathise with them, heh).

Well, seems I've missed a couple, so I've got some catching up to do!

Really tho, if you get the chance, go see it!

Also, while researching, I found that this is heading to America, and filming actually started in February of this year. They are keeping Moss, but everyone else is being replaced by younger and prettier people, in case the sight of some teeth that were not set using a spirit level offends the mythical american viewership.

It really is quite scary, I mean the lack of respect the British TV companies have, and the low regard they have for their average viewer's intelligence. It still amazes me that QI got to a second series, never mind a fifth! But then that is why you get QI on the BBC, as on ITV or CH4, I believe the usual ads for Pot Noodle, Lambrini, and Heat magazine would maybe not be too effective in the middle of QI.

Having said that, at least we're not America, where if you haven't spent three mortgages on plastic surgery, you're not allowed near a TV screen. I still remember the horrors of the US 'Red Dwarf' pilot, where they replaced Craig Charles as the beer swilling, curry spilling slob of the universe with a charming, white, chisel jawed actor straight out of acting school. As for replacing Holly with Jane Leeves from 'Frasier' (and I LIKE Frasier, I really do, and I like Jane Leeves in it!), someone said rather truthfully, 'how can an english actress fail so comprehensively to do an english accent?'.

Come on guys in US TV stations, just TRY running a few more British shows 'as is', I think a fair percentage of your viewer may actually be able to translate the strange voices into american, and a few might even understand some of the 'humor' (Yes, when it comes to US execs, there really is no 'u' in 'humour') (Yes I know, stop being pedantic!).

Still, there's hope, and maybe the US version could be an 'Office' and not a 'Red Dwarf'.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home